Books I have read or interested in reading about alcoholism, addiction, and struggles for sobriety. I will put the ones I read or currently reading in bold print.
Please let me know if you suggest any others.
- Drinking: A Love Story by Caroline Knapp- very good! Highly recommended
- Unwasted: My Lush Sobriety by Sacha Z. Scoblic – okay. Funny but I wish she talked more about how struggles with sobriety
- Living Sober Sucks by Mark A. Tuschel – I listened to this on audiobook. Had a lot of good points for quitting drinking and starting sobriety
- One Breath at a Time: Buddhism and The Twelve Steps by Kevin Griffin
- Guts by Kristen Johnston
- Dry by Augusten Burroughs
- Wishful Drinking by Carrie Fisher- great for people suffering from Bipolar disorder also
- Smashed: Story of a Drunken Girlhood by Koren Zailckas
- The Year of Less by Cait Flanders
Sober for Good by Anne M Fletcher
Found this list of “You May Also Like” in one of my books I got on Amazon that I plan to check out:
- Diary of an Alcoholic Housewife by Brenda Wilhelmson
- Drinking Diaries: Women Serve Their Stories Straight Up edited by Leah Odze Epstein and Caren Osten Gerszberg – I have this one on audiobook on my ipod
- A Woman’s Way Through the Twelve Steps by Stephanie S Convington
- The Easy Way to Stop Drinking by Allen Carr
- The Interventionist by Joani Gammill
5 thoughts on “Sober Reading”
Did you enjoy the Buddhism aspect? There’s The 12 Step Buddhist Recovery Addiction by Darren Littlejohn, and Mindful Recovery by Thomas Bien.
I liked Cool Water by William Alexander, too. 🙂
Thanks I will look for them. I am just starting my Buddhism book. I read a lot at work but I don’t want to bring this book to work so it might take me a little longer.
I recommend Drink: The Intimate Relationship Between Women and Alcohol by Ann Dowsett Johnston. I struggle with the romantic idea of cocktails.. I’m on attempt number 498723941 at staying sober for a year. I recently found your blog and I appreciate your words. Thank you.
Thanks! I will look for that book.
Thanks for that suggestion. I have it on my iPod. Was very informative!